Thursday, October 25, 2007

Feedback!

"Hey Jenna--

I just looked at your radio show's blog. Nice! I like that you quote one of my favorite Patti Smith songs ("little sister the sky is falling, i don't mind, i don't mind"). I love Patti Smith. I met her once at a rally against space weapons in New York in 2001. She looked insane. Her eyes looked like she was on acid. It was so strange. But it was pretty amazing to meet her. I was kinda star struck. Before the Fools were the Fools, Mahra and I would preform together sometimes at different events under different names. One time we performed "Redondo Beach" by Patti Smith in drag (she was in a suit and I was in a little red dress) while a bunch of our dancer friends hula hooped around the stage in bikinis, like they were at the beach. It was absurd, and funny. Another time, we performed an Avril Lavigne song ("Complicated") then segued into a White Stripes song ("Hotel Yorba") while wearing masks and on stage with us were two friends wearing space alien masks emerging from a big egg and engulfing us in fabric. Hehe. I guess I've gotten boring in my old age. That and me and Mahra live very far from each other now.

Annnnnnnnnnnnnnnyyyyyyyywwwwwwwwwwwaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyy, I just wanted to say I appreciate your radio show, and your website. I appreciate the diversity of the music you play--a broad definition of folk, i'm feeling it. The new Lucinda Williams, Son of Nun, John Lee Hooker, Les Miserables. Hehe. Les Miserables radicalized me as a kid. I asked my parents for red fabric and a wooden pole for Hannukah when I was eight and I made a red flag and would play revolution in my bedroom, pretending to be Gavroche. A few years later, the fantasy was that, for whatever reason, the IRA was fighting the British in Pikesville, using my parent's home as a base.

Don't we know each other from Baltimore? I believe we do, if you're the Jenna I think you are. If you are, howzitgoing? How's school? How's life? IF you're not, howzitgoing? I'm Mark, nice to meet you.

Anyway, those are some random stories for today. This is what I do when it rains, check my email. I was supposed to work today, yardwork, but it was pissing rain and I couldn't.

Fucking a. I'll talk to you later. Keep up the good radio work. I love the radio. I love free media. I hate the FCC.

Peace,
Mark Gunnery"

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
(mark with brenna, another awesome riotfolker)

Now it's your turn, y'all. E-mail me at jenna.brager@gmail.com and let us know what you're thinking. Especially if it's stories about playing Les Miserables as a child. Personally, I used to think Cosette was kind of lame; I was all about Eponine. What a badass!

~Jenna

p.s. I used to pretend that there was a repressive government in place and we had to build a huge barricade around my parent's neighborhood in Reisterstown and were under siege from these evil fascist government people. My games mostly were concerned with stockpiling supplies and gardening, as well as administering first aid to "injured" people, and climbing up trees and under porches to "spy." I also dressed like a pirate, only in a green speedo from swim team practice. Our other favorite game was playing bartender with the antique Natty Bo cans my father collected when he was a teenager and until recently, continued to reside in my Bubbie's basement in Randallstown. SWEET.

No comments: